Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Fears, Doubts and Slipping Confidence

Have I really not posted since last Thursday? Time is flying by. Its two weeks until our work has to be delivered to the gallery. TWO WEEKS!!! There are still two more paintings that I want to do. One is part of the way through and the other one hasn't been started. I'm having trouble getting things to work for me as the fears and doubts are setting in. My confidence is slipping as the exhibition gets closer. Anyway I thought I'd share with you what I have been doing with the layers of advertising posters. This canvas is on the large side 101.6x76.2cm (40"x30")

some advertising poster, book pages, found paper, acrylic paint and some stamping

some altered paper and some tie dyed paper towel added with more stamping

more of the same, nearly covered the canvas

the canvas is all covered and now a protective coat of matte varnish is applied

once the matte varnish is dry I covered the whole thing with white gesso

water is sprayed on and I start scrubbing back the gesso with a toothbrush

a very light wash of black

then a very light wash of raw sienna to age it a bit

a bit more stamping on the boring bits

10 comments:

Laura said...

Deep breaths Deep breath, Your creative Good Orderly Direction has lead thus far and to accomplish all that you have and down to the last two is so great. You will be able to do this... and the nervous I hear is a way for us to be alert to the to what is happening to us. You are living a life if wonder now and it's great. You are where you should be now for today. Keep looking down and seeing where the feet are and just work with those feet you will do just fine.

Hugs
~v~Laura

Doris said...

Everyone of those 28 pieces you've shared is fabulous! With only two more in your goal...take a moment to relish satisfaction rather than allowing doubts to enter! We're there with you in spirit!

Uta said...

Aw thanks guys. I feel much better now.

Julia said...

Love seeing it step by step!! Gotta love those posters!

Anonymous said...

Thank you that you showed us the step by step painting.
Sooooo many steps - I was wondering how you do those paintings - now I know.

Katherine said...

I love this process you shared, fabulous. I want to do it this way. I have used pages from magazines and sanded them. This process would make a whole other effect.

You will either get the pieces done or you won't. I am betting you will, but either way your show will be wonderful. One in a string of many.

Marjorie said...

My my my my! Those exciting papers are bringing out some new work for you! Seagull loves it!

april said...

Beautiful! Love seeing the process. You've got everything under control, Uta. You'll be fine. xxoo

Uta said...

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful comments.

DMG said...

I discovered you through Katherine's blog, and I quite like your work. I was fascinated to read exactly how you created this painting. Thank you so much for your geerosity in sharing.