Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Dream

Here you go Bev. This is the suitcase painting I created last year. Its about my dream of meeting Doris in Paris and eating French cheese hehehe. I created it for an exhibition that had a French theme and it received a 'highly commended' from the judge. It was purchased by the City of Marion for their collection in the 'Peeking Through Someone Else's Window exhibition that I had recently with Julia and Zoe. I used images of vintage French posters and pages from a French phrase book in the background and then painted the suitcases over the top.

The Dream
mixed media on canvas
76.2x50.8cm (30"x20")
I haven't got Photoshop, which I use to edit my photos, installed on my new computer yet. It means I can't share the artwork I just finished yesterday. Its called 'Brown Onions' so guess what I painted hehehe. I also had another full day in the studio today and got the background done for the next painting. I have already come up with the title of ' Not Before Dinner' as its going to have a bowl of liquorice all sorts painted on it. By Tuesday week I have to have all work finished and photographed so Greenhill Gallery can put them on their web site. This has all happened so fast. I can't believe I have a solo exhibition opening in just over a month. No time to be nervous. I still need to find something to wear. That always causes me the most grief hehehe.

10 comments:

Laura said...

Yes isn't it just so wonderful. the direction is layed out and you on the red carpet enjoying the trip. so proud and happy for you Uta and so grateful to witness it.

~v~Laura

Uta said...

Thanks Laura. I'm really grateful to witness your journey too. You too have come a long way in the 2 years I've known you. (((((hugs)))))

butterfly woman said...

Uta,
A breathtaking piece, once again. I love the inspiration behind it, can I fit into one of your suitcases when you and Doris go to Paris?I hear Monet's Garden calling me!
Your dreams are coming true! That licorice piece sounds mouthwatering, another tease I have to wait for. I am always amazed at your wealth of ideas that never end. Thanks for sharing, I am appeased for the moment!

Uta said...

Bev, I'm so glad you are appeased for the moment hehehe. As for my ideas. I just paint ordinary everyday things that are around me everyday. They are those little treasures that make a home and bring comfort. That's all, no great monumental ideas. Just everyday life hehehe.

Anonymous said...

`The dream´is a wonderful painting. I have been in Paris several times and your painting brings back the nice memories of that city.
For your next show I wish you the best!

Miki Willa said...

I really love this painting! It speaks to my longing to travel and see new places.
I am very excited for your upcoming show. What a treat for the folks who will be able to see your wonderful art in person. Congratulations.

Uta said...

Thanks everyone for your wonderful support :)

Elena said...

Uta, I'm so excited for you! And I really like the suitcase piece. I love the old round ones or those with the old travel stickers. Make sure to post photos of your gallery opening since I obviously can't go.

april said...

Your dream's come true! Love every piece, Uta, and love making everyday things special. You have wonderful ideas and you're on your way! So excited to have a front seat! xxapril

Doris said...

So sorry to be falling behind. I'll have to peek again at home as my work computer is so dark. Paris is starting to seem like fate. I do believe, I do believe! Wonderful piece, exciting news, and it has a travel home too!