Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rainbow Lorikeets

Gums trees are planted on the street where we live and there is one right outside our window. The gum trees are flowering now which attracts the Rainbow Lorikeets. The racket these birds make is amazing and I absolutely love waking up to their squawking. Its so loud that while talking on the phone I'm asked if I'm in an avery. For days now I've tried to get a good photo of them but this is the best I've got so far.
They move around so much feeding on the nectar its been really difficult but I will keep trying. When Bob and I lived in a rural area my favourite sound in spring time was the bonk bonk bonk of the frogs in the dam. I used to love laying on our bed at dusk listening to them calling each other. I really miss that. Living in the city the different seasons don't seem to be so pronounced. Its either hot or cold. You don't see the countryside changing from yellow to green as the rains come. You don't see lambs playing in spring and you certainly don't hear the frogs. But at least I have that flowering gum tree and the sound of the Rainbow Lorikeets.
Only did a little bit of painting today. I went to the Lion's Club garage sale which is on every Wednesday. Its just a big old shed filled with second hand stuff thats been donated. Lion's Club sell it for charity. I had a couple of good finds today. One was an old wooden chair, real sturdy and the other was a book publish in the 70's called A Small Book of Grave Humour. The book is shaped like a headstone and each page records an ephitaph from old headstones some of which don't exsist anymore. My favourite is this one.
HERE LIETH
MARY-
the wife of JOHN FORD
WE HOPE HER SOUL IS
GONE TO THE LORD
BUT IF FOR HELL SHE
HAS CHANGED THIS LIFE
SHE HAD BETTER BE THERE
THAN BE
JOHN FORD'S WIFE
1790
MARY FORD
Here's another I particularly liked and had a bit of a chuckle over.
16 Jan 1751
J O S E P H
B A I N
Good people as you
pass by
I pray you on me cast
an eye
For as you am so once
was I
And as I am so must
you be
Therefore prepare to
follow me
I corrected the spelling because it makes it easier to read. I just love old grave stones and have spent hours walking through cemeteries but have never found any as good as these.

2 comments:

Monika said...

your blog is awesomeness, i added it to my favourits!

Uta said...

Glad you liked it. :) So you live in Austria huh?